Curious to learn more about your backyard? Putting together an Explorer's Kit is a great first step.
Here's what you need to get started:
- Notepad and pencil (for sketches or journaling)
- Magnifying glass (to examine feathers, and other findings)
- Small shovel or trowel (to uncover interesting things in the soil)
- Jar with lid (to collect tiny creatures for brief observation)
- Shallow pan (to spread soil in while looking for tiny inhabitants)
- Flashlight with red cellophane (red won’t disrupt night vision)
Now you have everything you need to help see, identify and document the plants and creatures in your yard.